[SI-LIST] Re: vias and current pathes

  • From: "Herbert" <afu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:43:29 -0000

Hello Aaditya,

maybe, I did not make it realy clear, but I did not talk about the return path.
Imagine the trace as a conductor with reference to the surrounding universe.
Then you can imagine that the return path is of no
influence for the forward traveling current.

Am I right ?

Herbert

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Aaditya Kandibanda <aaditya.kandibanda@...>
wrote:

> Herbert,
> Whenever a trace changes layers, the return current flows through the vias
> that stitch the adjacent ground planes of those two layers. If those two
> planes are not stitched, there would be a discontinuity for the return
> path.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Aaditya
>
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Herbert <afu@...> wrote:
>
> > Hello to all,
> >
> > I am new here and I have searched about the real
> > current path for RF on a combination
> >
> > trace - via - trace
> >
> > On the trace there is current flow more or less identical
> > on both sides of the trace ( top - bottom ).
> > When flowing through the via , I would think, there is a more or
> > less equal corrent on inside surface and on outside surface.
> > That currents pass through the via and flow then on top and bottom
> > of the trace on the second side.
> > What about the interchnge of current between the sides and which influence
> > has the pad ring of the via ?
> > What about the idea of having less skinn effect when having
> > that situation with a ground plane on the second side ( means a grounding
> > via ) and using so called "thermal reliefs" ?
> > I have the opinion, that the thermal releafs have a negative effect
> > on the overall impedance of the via construction WITH thermal reliefs.
> >
> > Waiting for good ideas
> >
> > Herbert

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help: