[SI-LIST] upcoming two short presentations

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:12:16 -0800

 Hi All,
I keep generating more and more lab data which I present in my short
webinarsbefore incorporating some of the data into larger presentations such
as my Boulder City, NV seminars, PCB West and at my courses at the
Universityof Oxford later on. A small subset of the data is sometimes
published in my Technical Tidbits.

Doug

Here are two for next Thursday:

Thursday,  November 20th @ 10:00 a.m. Pacific time: [1][2]Electrical
Resonances in Physical Structures[3]
(A novel approach to solving analog and digital design problems with
application to SI, EMC, and ESD issues)
New material added that leads to a surprising design rule for PCBs of four
ormore layers!
  * Click here[4] for an outline and description
  * Click here[5] for a registration form
  *      Thinking of an electronic system as a collection of coupled tuned
resonant circuits is a novel way of approaching a system design from ICs, to
PCBs, to cables, to entire systems. This approach can expose design problems
and fixes for operational, SI, EMC and ESD problems and applies to both
analog and digital designs. Every design engineer needs to attend this
webinar! EMC engineers will also find this webinar very useful in their work
as well.
Next presentation: Thursday,  November 20th @ 10:00 p.m. Pacific time:
Switching Circuits in Electronic Systems[6]
(Problems and solutions for the design engineer)

  * Click here[7] for an outline and description
  * Click here[8] for a registration form
  *      Switch mode power supplies (at system and board level) and other
switching devices like class D amplifiers and pulse width modulation
controlled devices have caused a lot of noise problems over the years
resulting in a lot of weekends and evenings at work for engineers. This
webinar will discuss the four modes of noise generation in switching
circuitsand how to deal with them. The fourth mode is not well known yet
causes many of the problems due to switching circuits and is not covered in
specifications. Did you know that switching circuits generate noise that can
cause intermittent operation of systems with problems occurring once per
houror even less frequently? How this can happen will be discussed and ways
of debugging this type of problem will be covered. Examples will be
discussedwhere switching noise generated in one part of a system caused
problems in remote parts of the system, including one case where a hard
drivewas corrupted from a meter away and the drive was not even connected to
the noisy supply causing the problem.
         Recommendations from system level to PCB level are given, right
downto the type of inductors/transformers recommended for supplies mounted
onPCBs.
-- University of Oxford Tutor Department for Continuing Education Oxford,
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
-------------------------------------------------------------- ___ _ Doug
Smith \ / ) P.O. Box 60941 ========= Boulder City, NV 89006-0941 _ / \ / \ _
TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 |
q-----() | o | Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxx[9] \ _ / ] \ _ / Web:
http://www.dsmith.org[10]

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.emcesd.com/webinars.htm#Wireless