[SI-LIST] Re: trouble simulating with AC coupling capacitors in topology

  • From: "Beal, Weston" <Weston_Beal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prathap sirishe <prathapsirishe@xxxxxxxxx>, Andy Haas <andyhaas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 17:58:49 +0000

The problem with this approach is that a good S-parameter model has the very
same behavior as the simple capacitor model. If the S-parameter model doesn't
show the same charging effect then I question the validity of that model. I
believe you could make an S-parameter model that would accurately represent the
high frequency impedance of the capacitor and avoid the low frequency charging,
but it would take care and understanding to generate that model. S-parameters
are like power tools. A skilled craftsman can get a lot of work done with them,
but in an unskilled hand they can do a lot of damage.

My preference for the series capacitor problem is to use a resistor with the
value of the capacitive reactance at the bit frequency of the signal on the
channel.

Weston