[SI-LIST] tools for assembly cost and metrics of printed circuit boards

  • From: jan.vercammen.jv1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:38:46 +0100

hello si-list,

a colleague and myself are working on a project to understand the
assembly cost and metrics of printed circuit boards (PCBs) better. Because
we are only end-users of PCBs we lack the tools or knowledge for this
rather specific topic and specialization.

Can anyone contribute links, books or information concerning assembly costs and
assembly metrics of printed circuit board (PCB) fabrication and  PCB assembly .

Our idea is that you input information into the tool and it returns a certain
cost
unit. The tool can be either absolute (estimate the cost) or work relative
(that much % cheaper or % more  expensive).
The input should or could be: PCB technology (layer number, pitch and line
width, via diameter, ...), the number of nets, the number of pads, SMD and/or
leadthrough
components, number of components, number of component sides (top/bottom),
wave or reflow soldering for bottom side, ...

Or would you say rather to contact our PCB and assembly manufacturers and
work out a few examples. What is your opinion and expertize in this regard.

Thank you.

Jan Vercammen
EMC/PCB engineering
Afgfa-Gevaert NV, Belgium