[SI-LIST] Re: timing analysis

  • From: "Istvan Nagy" <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Hal Murray" <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:53:06 -0000

Hal Murray wrote:
"or young kids who don't understand the big picture?"

- I know lots of old engineers who dont understand the big picture, and they
dont even try to understand it. On the other hand, they are treated as great
professionals by the managements at several companies (just because they are
old. they call it "experience"), they are senior/lead engineers. I saw this
at several places, I think it is quiet usual in the industry,
unfortunatelly. They make ugly mistakes very often, what they could have
avoided just by having proper knowledge and understanding (timing analysis,
signal integrity, pi, return currents, logic delays, stackups,
impedance...). they never read a tech book or a publication, then they spend
a half year or one year to try to fix those mistakes by trial... At least i
am trying to understand everything related to my work, and its going well,
actually much better than for these old guys.
you saw old engineers who actually had understanding, ok but i think it is
not representative, there are old/young engineers with/without proper
understanding on the "big picture", maybe not evenly distributed, but even
then...

regards,
a "young kid"