[SI-LIST] Re: timing analysis

  • From: "Peterson, James F (EHCOE)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:34:41 -0400

I always enjoy the timing analysis dialog on the SI-List.

I'll add a couple points to this well-answered thread :

1) this is already been stated, but there is a line you can't cross in
timing analysis... you can squeeze your margin, push the limits, and get
less conservative, but when you're finished, you should have a
defendable position.

2) I agree that the 60xbus can be a challenge. Especially Freescale's
60xbus. Their processor io that drive this bus have rise times of 250ps
(it's crazy to allow a 250ps rise time on a 3.3v driver in a design with
a tco of 5.5ns!!!). At 100MHz, that 250ps rise time makes it very very
difficult to have anything but a point-to-point topology.

Regards,
Jim Peterson