[SI-LIST] Re: time domain simulation w/ PDN planes

  • From: <nilesh_kamdar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sherman.chen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:42:20 +0000

Sherman

If I understood your question correctly, I believe that this simulation can be
handled in ADS. To do this you need to create an SI/PI model of the physical
interconnects that includes all the power/ground planes and also signal lines.
Then you can apply specific time domain stimulus in a Transient simulation.

Here is a DesignCon 2014 paper that explains how we can do this:

Paper:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5991-4083EN.pdf

Slides:
http://www.xilinx.com/events/designcon2014/11_WE5Slides_Touchstonev2SIPISParameterModels.pdf

If you have more questions about this technique, you can contact me offline.

Thanks
Nilesh Kamdar
Applications Engineer, Keysight Technologies

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Chen, Sherman" <sherman.chen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [SI-LIST] time domain simulation w/ PDN planes
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:07:19 +0000

Hello experts,
I'm trying to evaluate the impact of power plane noise on the HS signals. The
sim setup would require to apply a noise source on the PDN (somewhere btw power
plane and ground plane), also a PRBS source at the initial end of the t-line.
To my knowledge it looks only Cadence Sigrity Speed2000 can run such SI/PI
combined sim since the feedback I got from Keysight and ANSYS both said that
neither ADS nor SIWave can handle such sim case where time domain sim needs to
be run w/ the noise coupled from power/ground plane. Note the coupling needs to
be from the whole plane rather than injected at one point for the latter we can
simply use a sparam model of the PDN as the means of noise injection but this
would not be the equivalent of the plane coupling, right?
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Sherman Chen
Signal Integrity