[SI-LIST] Re: termination for routing 8 SDRAMs to single Processor

  • From: "Douglas Burns" <dburns@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <david.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:25:37 -0400

Jim,

 With today's devices, one of the overriding issues is gate oxide
overstress. With a very thin oxide, there is a large Efield across the oxide
(gate to VDD or Gate to VSS). If the efield is to large, catastrophic
breakdown of the oxide occurs (Fatal, think bug zapper)). If you over stress
the oxide, you can damage the oxide such that device leakage can occur. With
multiple overstresses, the oxide can eventually fail (High leakage or device
failure).

A second effect is electromigration. Large source or sink currents can cause
the metal atoms to move. Eventually the metal becomes thin enough to act
like a fuse.

The DC limits tells the designer the max stress that the device can except
with no degradation.

The AC limit is based upon an expected chip lifetime (This used to be 10
years). So the AC limits identify the stress that can be supplied to the
chip and still have the device meet lifetime requirements.

I don't have any good websites to point you to, but but check out keywords
like "gate oxide breakdown"

 Doug