[SI-LIST] Re: termination for routing 8 SDRAMs to single Processor

  • From: "for_si_list" <for_si_list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:32:06 -0000

Hi Alex,

For Address Bus, Refer any of the JEDEC Reference Design
Specification's/Raw Cards for DDR DIMM's/SODIMM's and you will find a
number of Topologies for the Address Bus without a Termination. Make
sure u do all the length matching as mentioned though.

You should even consider routing the Address/Command bus as in DDR2
DIMM modules, where the routing is Balanced unlike DDR1 modules.
Refer Page 18 of below link:
http://www.sisoft.com/pdf/DDRII_DesignCon_2005_paper.pdf

Even in the Case of Registered Memory modules, Post-Registered
Address Bus have no single termination on it. Moreover, the JEDEC
spec allows for 4.5 V/ns overshoot on the Address bus, which would
easily be met even without any termination.

The best way to route the Data bus would be a "Balanced T Topology".
However, With a 4 load Topology, there would be severe reflections
from the Stubs of other 3 devices especially during the READ's, if
stubs are long.
Make sure the branches after the T point are kept short.

If X is the stub length, then
2X [Round Trip time] should be < 1/3 rd Rise time of the Driver [DDR
SDRAM], so that the reflection's are masked by the inertia of the
Driver's Rising Edge.

Whether Termination's are required or *NOT* depends on many factors
like:

[1] Driver Output Impedance
[2] Receiver Input Impedance
[3] Transmission Line Impedance
[4] Combination of Line Length & Driver Rise time

Its very important to make Reflection coefficient ZERO either
at the Driver end or at the Receiver end to prevent any reflection.

I feel its better you have Pull Up's for Data at the Memory
Controller to facilitate "READS".

Best Regards,
Member-SI List

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Aravnda G <aavinda12@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am working with a micro-processor conneted to 8 SDRAM with 12
address lines to all SDRAMs and 32 data lines each to two sets of
four SDRAMs. I was wondering if anyone has managed to route this sort
of topology without using terminations. If so please send information
on topology used. The IO are lvttl compatible at 3.3V. Any input on
routing possibilities is welcome.

> Thanks & Regards,
> Alex.

> si-list-request@xxxx with 'help' in the Subject field