[SI-LIST] Re: symmetry vs length matching for diff signals

  • From: "Kai Keskinen" <kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lambert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Cortex.Chen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ricbrook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:50:33 -0500

Bert is basically using a field solver to quantitatively define what I said.
The only question is do we define Kc of 2.0% as the threshold of loosely
coupled or something less or higher? For most applications, a coupling
factor of 2% can be deemed loosely coupled. The more important issue is, can
the differential line geometry one chooses be routed through connector pin
fields (i.e. backplanes) or through device pin fields (0.050" pitch or
0.040" pitch)? If it can't, you better chooses a loosely coupled geometry to
minimize impedance discontinuities when you have to break up the pair to go
around vias and pins.