[SI-LIST] Re: symmetry vs length matching for diff signals

  • From: "Cortex Chen" <Cortex.Chen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kai Keskinen" <kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ricbrook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:30:53 +0800

Dear Kai,

For some aspect, I agree with your speaking.
In detail, there are some unknown for me as below:
As your said that  If the differential impedance is much less than twice =
the single ended impedance for the same track width, (i.e. 50 single, 90 =
differential)
It means as the equation: Zdiff =3D 2 * Zodd =3D 2 * (Z11- Z12)
However, even if impedance occurs (50 Ohms single, 97-100 differential), =
I think that the min (intra-pair) spacing may be the critical value not =
loosely coupled.
If the spacing is more than the critical value, then the it becomes =
loosely coupled.  =20
You could observe that differential impedance will be in saturation =
region if the spacing is significantly more than the critical value as =
below example.
I like to seek how to get the critical value and the relationship =
between the critical value and tightly coupled.

For example (reference only):

<Zo> 55 ohms (W: 5 mils)

<Zdiff> 100 ohms (target)

Trace Width  Spacing  Trace Width       Zdiff
         5             7               5                94.xx
         5             9               5                98.xx =20
         5            11              5                101.xx
         5            13              5                103.xx=20
         5            15              5                104.xx=20
         5            20              5                106.xx
         5            30              5                108.xx=20

Regards,

Cortex
         =20