[SI-LIST] stripline return paths etc.

  • From: "Leonard Alexman" <lalexman@xxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:55:21 -0800

Hi All,
I am designing many pcb's with multiple power and ground planes and I was
curious if some has an opinion or could point me to any articles on the
following questions.

1.      I know its best to have a sold ground plane (or solid power plane )
on either side of the a stripline trace but is it acceptable to have a solid
ground plane on one side and a power plane on the other side with many
splits in the plane ?  The same question for a dual stripline configuration
?

2.      I have some high speed differential signals that have a separate
ground (HSGND). HSGND is tied to digital ground thru a zero ohm resistor. I
am routing these signals in a stripline configuration with HSGND planes on
either side. Can I also route digital signals(that use the digital ground )
on this layer ? I am concerned that the return path goes thru the zero ohm
resistor to the digital ground plane. and it will be a very long return
path. Is my assumption correct ?

Thanks for any help

Leonard Alexman / American Electronics Group Inc.
PH: 951-354-6493
Cell: 951-640-5469
Fax: 208-247-33470

-- Type: application/ms-tnef