[SI-LIST] Re: stitching capacitors for signals changing reference plane

  • From: "Joel Brown" <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'steve weir'" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:42:38 -0700

Steve,

So normally we think of the return current flowing on the plane directly
below the trace and that translates into a constant impedance typically 50
ohms. When the signal hits the transition via the return current now has to
find the closest stitching cap(s) and now it is no longer traveling directly
below the trace and will see a change in impedance which will cause
reflections. Does the formula you gave take this into account? Is it not a
problem because the distance to the cap is less than the critical distance
calculated from the risetime of the signal making the reflection not
problematic?

Joel