[SI-LIST] Re: spice modeling for organic build-up substrates

  • From: Pat Diao <Pat_Diao@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Javier DeLaCruz' <jdelacruz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:11:05 -0800

Javier,

Thanks for the info.

Following this thread to a slightly different direction. Etching process
always creates an slope on the side of the trace.  This slope is about 19
degree from the 90 degree vertical wall, from studying the substrate layers.
The designed trace width is controlled to be the bottom trace width.
Compare this trapezoidal cross-section to the rectangular cross section
which is usually generated in most 3D modeling software, my study shows a
difference of anywhere between 10-20% in differencial impedance, depending
on the width/spacing ratio.

Some 2D simulators have the ability to generate trapezoidal cross sections.
3D simulators generally can only vertically extrude traces from 2D design
file.

Personally I adjust trace width on simple geometries to compensate the
effect.  Will appreciate any comments and sharing on how to better deal with
the problem.

Pat

Pat Diao, Ph.D.
Manager - Package Thermal, Electrical
and Mechanical Engineering and Development
ASAT Inc.
Fremont, CA
phone: (510) 249-1227
cell: (408) 666-2285