[SI-LIST] Re: simulating connectors in HyperLynx

  • From: "Carrier, Patrick" <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, "SI-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:55:50 -0500

Hey Joel,
To answer your specific question, yes.
I've never seen an HSPICE connector model encrypted (there isn't really
a need), so you can extract the RLC parameters for use in your circuit.
You can build up the connector model in HyperLynx with discrete
components if you'd like, or convert the connector model to a SLM model
(examples are already built into HyperLynx).  One thing to note there is
that if you pull out the individual parasitics you will lose your
coupling terms, but if that is not a big concern for your simulation it
is not a big deal.  To simulate the model as-is, you would need to run a
co-simulation with either HSPICE or ELDO.
For the specific multi-board case you were referring to, if you did
extract those RLC parasitics, you'd want to combine all resistors and
inductors in series that exist in model, as well as any capacitors in
parallel, into one value for the R, L, and C requested.  Whether or not
this is sufficiently accurate will depend on the signals you are trying
to pass through that connector as compared to the electrical length
(sqrt(LC)) of the lumped element you created.  Another way to implement
the connector would be to give it its own .hyp file (which you could
create from LineSim using discrete elements or .slms) to link into the
multiboard system.

One other note - most connector models exist in 1 of 3 different
formats:
1. SPICE RLC
2. SPICE controlled-source elements
3. S-parameter
All of these can be added to a HyperLynx simulation and co-simulated
with either HSPICE or ELDO.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info.
--Pat

Patrick Carrier
Technical Marketing Engineer
High Speed Design