[SI-LIST] Re: si-list administrivia

  • From: david_instone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (David Instone)
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:05:43 +0100

Well I didn't respond to the original question 'cos I don't much care
either way and to me its no problem to edit the 'to' line. 'B' would be
my option if forced to give an answer. However, I do query the reason to
reply to both the sender and the list.  Seems more logical to me to have
reply to sender got original poster, and reply to all to go only to the
list, after all the sender is on the list isn't he/she?  or should I say
for she/he <g>

Dave Instone

Ray Anderson wrote:

> I'd like to pose a quick question to the list membership.
>
> There has been a bit of discussion (both today and in the past) regarding
> the function of the "Reply To:" and "Reply To All:" functions on si-list.
>
> A. Present Functionality is:
>
>         "Reply To:" sends a message back to the list.          (which I
> personally like)
>         "Reply To All:" sends two messages back to the list    (which is
> pretty useless)
>

> B. We can easily implement alternate functionality:
>
>         "Reply To:" sends a message back to the sender.
>         "Reply To All:" sends a message to both the sender and the list.
>

> I've been kind of resisting changing anything as I remember the confusion that
> ensued the last time we toyed with this a couple years ago, but perhaps it
> is time to make things work 'right' whatever that is.
>
> I'm soliciting comments: Do you prefer mode "A" (the way it presently is) or
> mode "B"
> (the alternate functionality) ?
>
> Please reply directly to me rather than to the list (to enhance the technical
> signal to
> noise ratio on the list). After I gather a reasonable number of opinions I'll
> summarize
> the responses and modify (or not) the way the REPLY function works on list
> messages.
>
> -Ray Anderson
> Sun Microsystems Inc.
>
> Staff SI Engineer & (si-list admin)

Regards

Dave Instone. Compliance Engineer
 Storage Systems Development, MP24/22
 Xyratex, Langstone Rd., Havant, Hampshire, P09 1SA, UK.
Tel: +44 (0)23-92-496862 (direct line)
Fax: +44 (0)23-92-496014
http://www.xyratex.com  Tel: +44 (0)23-92-496000