[SI-LIST] Re: si-list Digest V5 #210

  • From: Ed Sayre III <esayre3@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: venkat@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:23:42 -0400

Venkat and others,
   The reason a MOS device is faster at low temperature is principally due
to the increased electron mobility with decreasing temperature.  Most
material resistivity is directly related to temperature.  This is exactly
why a device edge rate decreases (increasing rise time) with increasing
temperature.  If the edge is slowing down, then there is not as much charge
transfer because the resistance of the materials is retarding current flow.
(very simply put)

If you are looking for a more detailed explanation please refer to the paper.

"Cryogenically Cooled CMOS,"K. Rose, R. Mangaser, C. Mark, and E. Sayre 3rd
, Critical Reviews in Solid State and Materials Sciences, 24, (1), 63-99,
(1999).

Regarding  Undoped or a intrinsic, silicon;
Intrinsic Silicon has a very high resistivity at most temperatures since
the Silicon atoms are held in the lattice via covalent bonds and thus no
holes or electrons are free.  This assumes a perfect crystalline structure
without defects.  The addition of impurity atoms add or remove electrons
dependant on the location in the periodic table (3 or 5 columns) (n-type or
p-type material).  Doping concentration and Temperature effect the number
of free electrons which is represented by the Fermi level of the material.

I recommend the modular series on Solid state devices for all who are
looking for a review..

Hope this helps

Regards
               NORTH EAST SYSTEMS ASSOCIATES, INC

                         "High Performance Engineering & Design"
  Dr. Edward Sayre 3rd            e-mail: esayre3@xxxxxxxx
  NESA, Inc.                              http://www.nesa.com/
  235 Littleton Rd, Unit 2                Tel  +1.978.392-8787
  Westford, MA 01886 USA       Fax +1.978.392-8686

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: