[SI-LIST] Re: si-list Digest V4 #261

  • From: Ivan Ndip <ndip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gstokes@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:23:00 +0200

Hi Geoff,
the feeding lines are considered as ideal, so as to capture only the
effects of the via. The goal is to obtain the inductance of a through
via (of course, with its pads) using HFSS, not a complete
characterization of  all traces and  discontinuities in the package or
PCB using one HFSS model. If all these are to be considered in one HFSS
model, then the computation time and memory will be so large, that the
simulation might not even come to an end.
The traces can be characterized separately, and if they are uniform over
a given length, then 2D field solvers can also be used.
Certainly, the inductance of a signal via depends on the location of the
current path associated with the via. If the vias are closely repeated
in a region as you say, then the inductance becomes a function of the
positions of all the nearby vias. This must be considered as well.

Regards,
Ivan Ndip

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: