[SI-LIST] Re: s parameter causality problems

  • From: Megan Pecheny <Megan.Pecheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cristian Gozzi <cristian.gozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 12:20:34 -0600

Thank you everyone!!
From: Cristian Gozzi [mailto:cristian.gozzi@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:57 AM
To: Megan Pecheny
Cc: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] s parameter causality problems

Dear Megan

it's a common problem when it's used a simulator to extract S-parameters
without using frequency dependent materials.

If they use frequency dependent material for dielectric, like Djorckevic Sarkar
or Debye model, and run another time simulation, they can provide you casual
s-param model

Regards
Cris
2011/12/6 Megan Pecheny
<Megan.Pecheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Megan.Pecheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
I received 2 16port connector models and am using Hyperlynx 8.1.1 Touchstone
Viewer to do some analysis.  Both models I received from this company report as
being non-causal.  I have watched many of eric bogatin's webinars and searched
for information regarding the quality of s parameters and can't really find
anything pertaining to causality and passivity.  I know a true system is causal
because you can't have a response without a stimulus, but does this mean the s
parameter model is flawed and shouldn't be trusted?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Megan Pecheny
Daktronics
Hardware Design Engineer
605-692-0200 ext. 57043<tel:605-692-0200%20ext.%2057043>
Megan.Pecheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Megan.Pecheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with 'help'
in the Subject field

List technical documents are available at: