[SI-LIST] Re: rms jitter vs p-p jitter

  • From: "Ashok Babu K" <k.ashokbabu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mpeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <alexh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<hata@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:35:12 +0530

Hi All,

A simple conversion factor will be p-p jitter  = rms jitter *  x. As every
one has explained the value of 'x' is to be derived from the probability
level. If the probability distribution of jitter is considered as Gaussian,
there is no gurantee to specify the value of p-p jitter that bounds the
jitter always. The reason is the Gaussian distribution extends indefinitely
on both the sides of the mean value. In short, as Mike has said, we can be
sure that the value of the p-p jitter we get from rms jitter value bounds
99.9% of the time, if we take the value of 'x' as 6.

So the idea is to quantify the probability level to something that is more
of our concern. As Brad has indicated from the FC standard, one obvious
parameter will be to attach the probality level is BER.

The Maxim application note is really a good source for this. This app note
can be found in Maxim website as 3hfan402.pdf.

Regards,
Ashok.