[SI-LIST] Re: rise time performance

  • From: Steve Corey <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:34:35 -0800

Most of the statements below are true.  First, as predicted by Fred and
simulated by Jeff, if all circuit elements have infinite bandwidth,
risetimes will be preserved throughout the circuit, except for the
numerical loss that Jeff observed.  One can only hope that the simulator
properly controlled its timestep internally, and the risetime difference
  just had to do with the spacing between the displayed points.  But as
Jeff has said, don't assume anything.

Looking back to the original post, the problem was stated with a driver
and receiver at either end of the net.  This being the case, several
postings about the output and input impedances of the driver and
receiver explain the variation in risetime seen.  It takes a certain
amount of charge to charge a capacitance, so the faster it is able to
run in, the more quickly the capacitance is charged.

Also worth noting is that these buffer impedances, depending on the
buffer design and the accuracy of the simulation models, are nonlinear.
  That is, instead of being constant values, their R's, C's, and even
L's (once we hit 40 Gbit?) can vary with voltage and current.  So, while
viewing the them as linear capacitors lends good insight to the question
at hand, it's likely only accurate to first order.  This is the beauty
of nonlinear simulators and nonlinear modeling gurus...

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Modeling Company."