[SI-LIST] Re: rise time performance

  • From: "Sanchez, Louis" <louis.sanchez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:12:38 -0800

Hello............

I agree with the last posting. The topology involves a lossless transmission
that is also mismatched. As such, there are no RC elements involved. I have
personally experienced this phenomena with a delay line circuit that was not
properly terminated. There is an excellant treatment of this topic in the
book 'High-Speed Digital System Design' by Stephen H. Hall, Garrett W. Hall,
and James A. McCall (pages 21 thru 31). You can also demonstrate this effect
with regular coaxial transmission line. I suggest the following circuit
simulation with SPICE: Set up a pulse generator to drive 1 meter of RG58A/U
(50 ohm coaxial line). The source termination resistor is 500 ohms, and the
load resistor is 500 ohms. The pulse width is 100NS, Amplitude is 1 Volt,
and the rise and fall times are 100 pico-seconds.

Best Regards,
Louis A. Sanchez