[SI-LIST] Re: return currents

  • From: Larry Smith <ldsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ldsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, zhiping@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:55:15 -0700 (PDT)

Zhiping - Voltage is always with respect to (WRT) some other node.  All
voltages on printed circuit boards, electronic packages or chips are
differential.  Voltage is the potential of one node WRT another node.
We sometimes talk about the voltage of a node WRT the center of the
earth or WRT spice node zero (they are the same thing) but those
voltages are irrelevant for signal integrity in our products.  The only
thing that counts is the difference in voltage between two nodes, for
example a signal WRT local ground.  For traces in a PCB, the difference
voltage is always vertical, the voltage of a trace WRT the local
reference plane.  TEM mode analysis is good for all the stuff we do.

The PCB stackup in question has ground planes that surround both the
analog and digital traces.  The only thing that is important is the
differential voltage between the trace and reference (ground) planes.
That difference voltage will propagate down the trace (transmission
line).  Eventually, the voltage/current waveform will arrive at a via
that takes it to the surface of the PCB.  There should always be a
nearby reference (ground) via.  A chip will sense the differential
voltage between the signal and local ground.  This will be the same
voltage that was driven into the trace at the other end of the line,
if we have done a good job of maintaining a controlled impedance
environment (50 ohms) for the whole length of the trace. The voltage
that went in on one end is the same as the voltage that comes out on
the other end a time delay later, each WRT to their local grounds.
(For the moment, let's ignore the lossy nature of transmission lines.)

Now suppose we had a way to measure the voltage between two ground
points spaced several inches apart horizontally (I am not sure how to
do it, but let's say we could).  Suppose there were several volts
difference between the two local ground points.  Would that make any
difference to the waveform propagating on the 50 Ohm transmission
line?  I don't think so.  What ever voltage went into the transmission
line WRT it's local ground will come out of the transmission line WRT
local ground, even if the local grounds are several volts apart.  The
driving chip drives WRT local ground and the receiving chip receives
a signal WRT local ground.  If there happens to be a bunch noisy
digital lines on the opposite side of a ground plane, ...so what?

BTW, I agree with you that low frequency can be a killer.  But signals
behave well at high frequency.  The thickness of a ground plane is
all you need to isolate one signal from another.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems

List archives are viewable at: