[SI-LIST] relationship between reeceiver jitter transfer and jitter tolerance

  • From: "Cheng, Chris" <chris.cheng@xxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 02:07:42 +0000

Hi there,

I think the classical definition of jitter transfer is related to how much
jitter at the input of receiver get transfered to the output of the receiver.
The classical definition of jitter tolerance is related to how much input
reference clock jitter is acceptable for a given bit error rate.
What if I modify slightly the definition of jitter tolerance to the receiver
as, how much jitter can be applied to the input (instead of reference clock)
before you have a receiver error.
A practical way of doing the above is to send a known pattern such as CJTPAT to
a receiver and then modulate it with a fixed frequency jitter. The minimum
jitter amplitude that will trigger errors will be defined as jitter tolerance
as above.
So my question is, if one does the experiment above and plot out the jitter
tolerance vs. frequency. How does that receiver jitter tolerance related to the
receiver transfer curve ?
Can I interpret the receiver jitter tolerance and transfer relationship as:
a) For jitter tolerance > UI, the jitter transfer is 1 or unity
b) For jitter tolerance < UI, the jitter transfer = UI - jitter tolerance -
"some constant"
where "some constant" is probably related to the setup and hold requirements of
the receiver

Thanks in advanced,

Chris Cheng
Distinguished Technologist , Electrical