[SI-LIST] Re: relation between signal rise time and scope rise time

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Alfred Lee'" <alfred1520list@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:42:55 -0800

It all depends on how accurate you want your measurements to be.  You can do
the math yourself by remembering that the measured risetime = SQRT[(Scope
system risetime)^2 + (DUT risetime)^2].  The scope system includes the scope
plus probe plus whatever is between the scope and the DUT.

If DUT and scope have the same risetime the error will be 41.4%  If the scope
is half the DUT the error is 11.8%.  At one forth the risetime you are down to
3% and at 5 times faster you have 2% error when measuring from the scope screen.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane
Beaverton, OR 97008