[SI-LIST] Re: reference plane

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff W" <jeff.w.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:21:11 -0700

Someone shared that they found my results non-intuitive.  Just thought I'd
share something to make others with the same impression feel better.

I found it VERY non-intuitive, at first, and still find parts of it very
subtle.  For instance, consider the following symmetrical stripline case:

X position:       A                  B                      C

floating plane:   ------<----<----<----<----<----<----<----<----
dielectric1:
trace layer:      ->---->---->---->---->---->---->---->---->----
dielectric2:
ground plane:     <<----<----<----<----<----<----<----<----<----

The TDR signal is launched at point A, and is propagating to the right (as
indicated by the arrows on the trace layer).

Consider point B to be far from the TDR launch.  At that point, 1/2 the
return current is travelling on the floating plane, and 1/2 is travelling on
the ground plane (indicated by the arrows to the left), since this is
symmetrical stripline.  At point A (the TDR launch), however, ONE HUNDRED
PERCENT OF THE RETURN CURRENT must be traveling on the ground plane, since
that's what the ground of the TDR is connected to.  How does the portion of
the return current traveling on the floating plane "magically" jump over to
the ground plane?  Clearly it's capacitive coupling, but that's a lot of
current in a short distance.

This question vexed me for quite a while.  Eric Bogatin was less surprised,
and explained that, if you could look at the current densities close to
point A, you would see the current reach zero at the plane's edge (it has
to), be 1/2 the total current some distance from point A, and somewhere
between those 2 extremes at points close to A. A 3-D solver would show it
nicely (I'm lazy, and just took Eric's word).

Eventually, I could reconcile myself to what was physically happening, but
the correct model for what was happening was VERY non-intuitive.  If it was
easy, we'd get minimum wage.

Jeff Loyer