[SI-LIST] Re: reference plane

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff W" <jeff.w.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Charles Grasso'" <chasgrasso@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"Loyer, Jeff W" <jeff.w.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>,blewandowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, engin@xxxxxxxxxx,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:25:49 -0700

Hi Charles,
This may not help, but I'll try.  At some point, it gets difficult to get
meanings across clearly without pictures and/or one-on-one interaction.
But, here goes...

In making that statement ("I would ensure that, when using stripline with
both power and ground planes, the trace is closer to ground than power"),
the main issue I'm trying to address is the possibility of a large portion
of the return current travelling on the wrong plane, without a suitable
means of getting to the correct reference plane at the source.

For the case of a thin dielectric between the two planes (below, I mention
7mils, which was my test case), it is a moot point.  The inter-plane
capacitance provides adequate coupling between the two planes such that the
current transitioning between planes sees no increased impedance.

For the case of thicker dielectrics (frequently used), there is the
potential that the portion of the return current traveling on the "power"
plane will see a finite impedance between that power plane and the ground
plane.  In this case, the impedance of the trace is not the same as if the
trace was sandwiched between two ground planes (with vias between them at
the source).  Note that this is a problem in both symmetrical and
asymetrical stripline - the problem is caused by the thickness of the
dielectric between the planes.  So, what I'm suggesting is, in this case,
you will want your trace closer to the ground plane to reduce the adverse
effects caused by some of the return current travelling on the power plane.

In the case of symmetric stripline with a thick dielectric, other methods of
solving the problem will be necessary.  Perhaps decoupling caps between the
power and ground planes at the source and/or receiver (though I'm very
skeptical of their efficacy at current rise-times), or adjusting the stackup
to accomodate the increased impedance.

Note: you can substitute "effectiveness" for "efficacy", but efficacy is
much more fun to say.

And finally, this is my last day before an 8-week sabbatical, so I won't
have much to say on the subject 'til September.  Until then, I'll be more
concerned with not becoming bear skat while backpacking in the US and
Canada.  Have a great summer!

Jeff Loyer