[SI-LIST] Re: reference plane

  • From: Michael Nudelman <mnudelman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'evillaf@xxxxxxxxx'" <evillaf@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:04:27 -0400

Theoretically they are same. Practically one might think of the return
current paths having to jump de-coupling caps. For broadside-coupled
diffpairs using the GND-VCC planes' pair there is also coupling of VCC to
GND noise into the pair although this is practically common mode coupling.
VCC to VCC plane pair is pretty much the same as GND-GND.
I think "peace of mind" factor is also somewhat a player in the "GND only
ref plane" approach.