[SI-LIST] Re: question concerning socket for SDRAM module - mechanical problem?

  • From: "John Thomas" <jthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:46:07 -0500

Jan,

I've seen this due to the PCB being too thin.  You're measuring in the right
place on the edge connector.  It did appear as if some manufacturers' SDRAM
could overcome the marginal contact better than other; I believe this is
probably due to drive strength.  Since the board manufacturer didn't adhere
to the specifications we supplied, they took care of the problem.  I have,
however, noticed that boards on the lower side of the spec range can
occasionally give problems that are 'fixed' by rocking the DIMM in the
socket.  This is with one of the 'better' sockets.  This is something I'd
consider intolerable in a manufacturing test setup.  For this case, I'd go
with a zero-insertion-force socket designed for test.

Best Regards,

John Thomas