[SI-LIST] Re: question Optical Tranceivers

  • From: Yafei Bi <yafei_bi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:35:18 -0700 (PDT)

hi,

I don't know much about optical devices, so I might be
wrong.

I assume during the transmission of data, the laser is
not ON and OFF. Rahter it is always on and the
power/intensity of the laser is modulated to transmit
the data.

There are 2 ways to transmit data with opto
transmitter I can think of:

1. on/off switching, this will limiting the speed.
with Gbit ethernet, I doubt it is the case.

2. keep laser on and doing some sort of phase
modulation, eg. split the laser into two and phase
shift one of the laser, and then adding them together.
depends on the phase shift( 0 or 180 degree). the
combined laser output power will be zero or full
power, that way data is encoded.

just my guess.

Thanks

yafei