[SI-LIST] Re: pwr-gnd loop inductance measurment

  • From: "Jean Audet" <jaudet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:19:19 -0400

Depending the package you are using, you may have current flowing through
the plane or power strap... This may be the case for some particular design
using the buildup technology. and you are right , on-chip decap are used
but for some application you can not put as many decap as you want and you
may be limited in space....

And in my case I'm interrested to see the impact of a new SLGA interconnect
versus other LGA connector...How good is versus others

Jean Audet
Electrical Analysis
InterConnect Products IMD
IBM Burlington
Tel: 802-769-0835, tie line: 446-0835
Tel: 450-534-6317, tie line: 552-6317
E-mail: jaudet@xxxxxxxxxx

                      Chris Cheng

                      <chris.cheng@3par        To:       si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      data.com>                cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [SI-LIST] Re: pwr-gnd
loop inductance measurment
                      si-list-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      10/23/2002 03:20

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      chris.cheng

Ray and friends,

I am always curious in the days of flip chip BGA's how does one view the
pwr/gnd loop inductance of a package ?
Does the core pwr/gnd current really flow through the BGA pwr/gnd planes or
does it really flow straight up from the C4 bump under the die through the
via from the PCB ? Does the presence of power/gnd planes in a BGA is more
do with referencing the I/O and for the switching current to return. In the
later case measuring the pwr/gnd loop inductance is meaningless unless the
on die decoupling is presence and a specific I/O loop is known.

In other words, why do we even need to measure the pwr/gnd plane loop
inductance ?

Chris