[SI-LIST] Re: power-up sequencing

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:31:23 -0400

> Generally speaking, the requirement is to keep the supplies from reversing
> relative polarity.   Reverse polarity causes bad things to happen like
> powering through protection and parasitic diodes.  If you are very unlucky
> you will trigger a parasitic SCR and let all of the smoke out of your
> chip.

Occasionally there are chips that need it the opposite way, but I think they
are rare.  I've seen one that needed the low voltage brought up first, with
the higher voltage not far behind it.

> Assuming a chip has dual supply, IO and core, which one is supposed to
> come up earlier and how much delay is expected between the two.

As for delay ... I think that in general (again there may be exceptions), no
delay is probably best.  That is, the least harm would be done if all
supplies ramp up more or less simultaneously.  Holding one supply off while
others are on, may stress the IC in a way it wasn't designed to handle.

> Moreover is any glitch expected while second supply is comming up ?

I think that a voltage glitch is never expected, and could be bad.

A current glitch might be normal.  But consult the IC manufacturer.

Regards,
Andy

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: