[SI-LIST] Re: power planes (4-layer-board)

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Daniel Bauer <daniel.bauer16@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:53:59 -0800

Daniel, there are only two cases where you would be concerned with this:

1. The PCB power system has to directly support the I/O switching
current.  The reality of package inductance is such that as rise times
get short, the PCB can't directly support the I/O, charge store to
support the I/O long enough for current to overcome the inductance and
distribution time delay has to be located in the package and/or on the
die. Ideally you can find out from your IC manufacturers what their
packages look like.  In practice you often can't.  If you have IC's that
are a big concern, our metrology lab in Oregon can characterize them for
you.  The Oregon contact number is at the bottom of my signature.

2. Signals switch return references between power rails injecting I/O
current directly into the power cavity.  Your layout proposal wisely
seeks to avoid this by maintaining Vss as the return reference.

Steve

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: