[SI-LIST] Re: port terminations

  • From: Dan Swanson <DSWANSON@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Vijay.Varadarajan@xxxxxxx'" <Vijay.Varadarajan@xxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:32:29 -0400

Vijay,

If you calculate the capacitance per unit length C with all dielectrics
present.
And calculate the capacitance per unit length Co with all dielectrics set to
air.
c is speed of light in vacuum.

Then   Z = 1 / (c x sqrt(C x Co))

It does not matter what you call it.

There are some shareware FEM programs on the WEB that will let you
look at arbitrary geometries.

www.quickfield.com

www.pdesolutions.com

Both of these limit the number of nodes. Use symmetry to get more
nodes applied to your problem. The full version of FlexPDE is less than
$500.

Dan

Dan Swanson                     EMAIL:   d.swanson@xxxxxxxx
Bartley RF Systems, Inc.        TEL:   978-834-4085
37 South Hunt Road              FAX:   978-388-7077
Amesbury, MA  01913

On Thursday, September 20, 2001 8:21 PM, Vijay Varadarajan
[SMTP:Vijay.Varadarajan@xxxxxxx] wrote:
> Hi All!
> Consider a EM structure with 4 layers of dielectric.
> layer 1 air
> layer 2 dielectric
> layer 3 dielectric
> layer 4 dielectric
> top and botton are grounded. if i draw a rectangular conductor in layer
3(say) how do i calculate the characteristic impedane for the port
termination. do i consider it as a stripling or a microstrip.
> i will be gald if anyone could anwer my question.
>  - vijay

> List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: