[SI-LIST] Re: plane-to-plane decoupling

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:04:52 -0400

Vinu

Forget about "inductance" and follow the field patterns in 3D and you
will quickly see the difference.  A bypass capacitor operates in a
poorly-referenced loop.  When designed correctly, an AC coupling
capacitor is operating as one half of a transmission line, where the PCB
plane serves as the other half of the line. The differences are
significant.  As a result, a very reasonable 50 ohm match for a coupling
capacitor can be engineered, with good return loss out to 10 GHz.

regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Vinu Arumugham wrote:
> Scott,
>
> On many high density 3Gbps layouts,  the AC coupling capacitor has
> more loop inductance than the  0.5nH  Steve cited for a decoupling
> capacitor. So it is not clear to me how the AC coupling capacitor can
> outperform the decoupling capacitor.
>
> Thanks,
> Vinu
>
> Scott McMorrow wrote:
>> Vinu
>>
>> Your statement:
>> '"A single capacitor will still impose a substantial bump in the
>> impedance for a single signal.", yes, but the same applies if that
>> capacitor were in an AC coupling configuration. '
>>
>> Is just not true.  There are significant electromagnetic differences
>> between a capacitor used for AC coupling in a through configuration
>> and one used for power plane shunt applications.
>>
>> Hint: follow the magnetic fields
>>

>> Scott
>>
>> Scott McMorrow
>> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
>> 121 North River Drive
>> Narragansett, RI 02882
>> (401) 284-1827 Business
>> (401) 284-1840 Fax
>>
>> http://www.teraspeed.com
>>
>> Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
>> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
>>

>> Vinu Arumugham wrote:
>>> Steve,
>>>
>>> "A single capacitor will still impose a substantial bump in the
>>> impedance for a single signal.", yes, but the same applies if that
>>> capacitor were in an AC coupling configuration.
>>> It certainly has an impact but I don't see it being "unusable" as
>>> Lee put it.
>>>
>>> "A typical plane cavity will impose a much smaller bump.", yes, but
>>> if the 1 sq. in. cavity has to support several links, then the
>>> difference between (1) and (2) is not as big.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vinu

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net