[SI-LIST] Re: plane cutouts under ac-coupling cap pads

  • From: hassan@xxxxxxxx
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Matthew Severini <MSeverini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 06:40:25 -0400

literally forcing only differential mode propagation along the two
caps. You should be able to see that discontinuity in your HFSS
simulations. Look at the single-ended return loss.
 If you optimized your plane cutouts based on single-ended
s-parameter performance, then you'll also have problems in
differential mode performance. You should use differential mode
s-parameter performance to optimize the cutouts.
  For plane cutout optimization in HFSS, it's sufficient to replace
the caps with shorts since you're only finding a solution to the
impedance discontinuity created by the capacitor pads that are wider
than the traces connected to the caps.
 Best regards,
 Hassan.
 On Wed 07/10/13  7:04 PM , Matthew Severini MSeverini@xxxxxxxxxxxx
sent:
 I guess the clock is running as well. I should also say though, when
I simulated, I simulated all of the pcie lanes signaling at once. In
the simulation I also included the entire board with the air
dielectric boundaries, so any resonances that may be occurring in
that cavity have been taken into account in the simulation. With all
of that, I am still seeing much improved performance in the
simulation, that is not being realized in hardware.
 Matt Severini
 Signal Integrity Engineer
 mseverini@xxxxxxxxxxxx [1]
 (801) 987-7127