[SI-LIST] Re: placement of decoupling caps (again)

  • From: "Victor Snesarev" <vsnesarev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 06:33:32 -0400

Paul Mobbs wrote:
"I think another interesting experiment would be to use the recommended
amount of decoupling and then start taking it away until you see a
problem.
I wonder what those results would look like and under what circumstances
the
results would be the most dramatic."

Altera has an app note on hish-speed PCB design for FPGAs and they
describe an experiment like this.

http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an315.pdf

They inject noise onto the power plane and measure jitter on a 40"
trace. Page 67 summarizes their results:

"Because of board problems, the jitter reading numbers in Table 7 are
generally high. However, the jitter-reading comparison is still very
important. Testing shows that when the decoupling capacitors are
removed, the performance initially improves, but then worsens."

The app note contains other recommendations on decoupling capacitor
placement that seem to contradict some of the things stated in this
thread.

Victor