[SI-LIST] Re: package SSN model accuracy requirements, now Behavioral Modeling

  • From: "lgreen" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <kumarchi@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:58:16 -0800

Hi, Steve,

The real sticking point is that IBIS models is what I/O designers provide,
and IBIS does not model tightly coupled diff pairs.  If you get a SPICE
netlist, you are better off, of course.  But even SPICE models are not
foolproof - back when I used to design I/O buffers, I remember seeing some
flaky BSIM models from some of the foundries we dealt with.  ("Little"
things like discontinuities in I vs Vds.)

The links under Peter Lauritzen's page show a number of devices and circuits
where no macromodels could match the transient circuit characteristics,
while a well-built behavioral model provided a better match to data (i.e.
accuracy) and ran faster.

I guess the bottom line is to do whatever modeling it takes to get the
design out the door, while also verifying models whenever possible.

- Lynne