[SI-LIST] Re: off-diagonal resistance and conductance elements

  • From: "Bill Beale" <beale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:15:04 -0800

Hi Pat,

The answer is "It's all in the Matrix".

Look at any of the transmission line parameters and understand what they =
mean.  For a simple example, look at the capacitance matrix:

[Q] =3D [C][V]

This states that the amount of charges on one conductor is proportional =
to the amount of voltage on the other conductors.  (In this case, that =
is also why the off diagonal of the capacitance matrix is negative.  A =
positive voltage produces negative charges on the other conductors.)

Now look at the resistance matrix:

[V] =3D [R][I]

This states that there is a voltage drop on a neighboring conductor due =
to current 'on yourself'.  (Obviously this is frequency dependent:)  One =
way to look at it is that the 'coupled' current produces a voltage drop =
on the neighboring line.

To address the odd and even modes, the answer is exactly the same, kind =
of.  Any of the transmission line parameters can go through the odd/even =
transformation matrix.  You're just changing the basis.  (Remember =
linear algebra?)

Hope this helps,
Bill

Bill Beale              Phone:  503-439-3462
Sr. System App. Engineer  Fax:  503-477-9472
Accelerant Networks    e-mail:  bill_beale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On the world wide web @ http://www.accelerant.net

List archives are viewable at: