[SI-LIST] Re: need advice on DDR3 simulation / termination

  • From: Romi Mayder <romi.mayder@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Nitin_Bhagwath@xxxxxxxxxx'" <Nitin_Bhagwath@xxxxxxxxxx>, "joel@xxxxxxxxxx" <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 16:19:34 +0000

There are likely two factors at play - (1) the long trace delay of the package
and (2) the high IO pad capacitance of the Arria II GX memory controller.
Looking at the keyword [C_comp] in the IBIS file for the Arria II GX SSTL15 IO
standard shows a value of 7pF.  Replacing the single lumped RLC values in the
IBIS file under the keyword [package] with a multiple stage RLC circuit will
help a little bit.  Also, replacing the package model with an S-parameter model
will help more.  However, the 7pF die capacitance will still cause reflections
when probing at the package pin.  As a point of reference, you can take a look
at the [C_comp] value for some typical DDR3 memory devices and you will likely
find the value to be less than ~1.5pF.

The easiest solution is to always probe at the die when running simulations
using devices with high IO pad capacitance.

Kind regards
Romi