[SI-LIST] more soures of error in scope measurements

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:40:20 -0800

I have been writing again, and this month's Technical Tidbit at my
website discusses sources of measurement error that can occur internal
to oscilloscopes including interchannel crosstalk and other sources of
error. Most of my scope articles deal with errors caused by probing
techniques external to the scope, so the focus of this article is
different. It is on the internals of the scope.

Some very popular models of scopes have enough interchannel crosstalk
to be an issue with mixed signal measurements (high amplitude signal
on one channel, usually digital, and a low amplitude signal on another
channel).

Abstract: Crosstalk between channels of an oscilloscope can contribute
to measurement error. Conditions which can result in crosstalk error
as well as signs that measurement error maybe occurring are discussed
and recommendations made.

To see the article, to go http://emcesd.com where the link to the
article is the scope plot picture at the bottom of the main page
(after the ~90 other papers, articles, and presentations).

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: