[SI-LIST] Re: matching within 1 mil

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: silist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:37:43 -0400

Jack
I probably was not as clear as I could have been.

We're all Bozo's on this bus!

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Jack Olson wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Teraspeed(r) is the registered service mark of
>> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
>>

>> Jack Olson wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I agree.
>>>
>>> I just thought two things about this discussion were humorous:
>>>
>>> 1) complaining that a designer is giving better performance than you
>>> asked for,
>>> not believing him when he says it is no extra trouble, and wanting to
>>> "educate" him because of it
>>>
>>> 2) complaining that a constraint should be set looser because the
>>> inherent error is looser.
>>> If the router says they match EXACTLY and you take the time to measure
>>> a pad width and discover it is really off by 2mils, setting a rule for
>>> 500mils is still going to have a range of error about the same. So
>>> what is the harm in letting the router shoot for perfection? All you
>>> will get is the inherent error and no slop.
>>> All I'm saying is, if it is important enough to mention that you want
>>> a match within 500mils, you shouldn't complain if the router gives you
>>> less than 100. silly.
>>> but on a tight design where the router is struggling to give you what
>>> you asked for (which is USUALLY the case),
>>> your points are right on. (the "if its no trouble" phrase is the key)
>>>
>>> ok, back to "lurking" mode,
>>> Jack
>>>

>>> On 6/4/07, *Scott McMorrow* <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> <mailto:scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Jack
>>>
>>>     Unfortunately, the things that an autorouter does to "easily"
>>>     route to 1 mil trace matching can sometimes end up with a solution
>>>     that has more real delay than a larger constraint might.  I have
>>>     no problem letting the autorouter do it's absolute best.  But I
>>>     find, more often than not, after looking at 100's of designs, that
>>>     autorouters have a tendency to do some really wacky things that
>>>     frak the electromagnetics around pins and pads.
>>>
>>>     One of the things that autorouters do not innately know, is that
>>>     for differential pairs, matching should be accomplished
>>>     incrementally across the entire pair length, not as something that
>>>     occurs only at one of the ends.  Invariably, if the router
>>>     performs matching at the ends, where it is easier, 1/2 of the
>>>     time, it will be on the receiving end, which is the worst place to
>>>     perform matching, since it guarantees that a common mode signal
>>>     will propagate across the entire path length.
>>>
>>>     When it comes to wide bus matching, I've seen Mentor's
>>>     lost-Expedition router do some wonderfully "clever" serpentines
>>>     and jogs to achieve matching, that are absolutely guaranteed to
>>>     create 10's of ps of delay.
>>>
>>>     Scott
>>>
>>>     Scott McMorrow
>>>     Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
>>>     121 North River Drive
>>>     Narragansett, RI 02882
>>>     (401) 284-1827 Business
>>>     (401) 284-1840 Fax
>>>
>>>     http://www.teraspeed.com <http://www.teraspeed.com/>
>>>
>>>     Teraspeed(r) is the registered service mark of

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: