[SI-LIST] Re: lumped model vs distributed model

  • From: Jason D Leung <jleung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:58:19 -0500

Hi all,
thanks all for the participation, I have got a better understanding now.
So depends on the application, if the rise time is small and the time delay
is large , for our example we are talking about 100 ps rise time and 1m of
something with a time delay of 6.23ns ,then we have to chop the lumped
model into  " distributed model" .
However, the "distributed model" is not freq dependent eh, but it already
capture most of the discontiunity.
thanks
Jason Leung

Jason D Leung wrote:

> Hi everyone:
> For transmission line we can always use a lumped R,L,C model to
> represent a simple transmission line, or we can use a distributed model
> .(I know that the distributed model is more accurate and for high freq
> application we should use this model)
> But my question is : what is the main difference between the lumped
> model and distributed model?
> If we are just using the lumped model for our SI simulation, what are we
> going to miss ?
> looking forward for your insight
> thanks
> Regards