[SI-LIST] Re: lumped model vs distributed model

  • From: Steve Corey <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 20:11:59 -0800

Abe -- In my opinion and experience, a model with an infinite number of
infinitesimal segments (implying infinite transmission bandwidth) is
only accurate at low frequencies, since real interconnects do not behave
this way.  Such models are based on TEM assumptions and no skin effect,
and they also depend on a non-physical profile of loss tangent vs.
frequency that varies as 1/f.

As Ray Anderson mentioned in an earlier post, lumped element models can
be used to represent frequency-dependent losses such as dielectric and
skin-effect losses.  Since a lossy lumped model itself needs to
attenuate high frequencies, it's not subject to such restrictive
constraints on segment length as those you have laid out for the
limiting, or frequency-independent case.  However, determining how to
optimally segment such a model is still an area of active research.

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Modeling Company."