[SI-LIST] Re: lumped model vs distributed model

  • From: Steve Corey <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:00:29 -0800

Hello Abe -- I may not have explained myself clearly, so thanks for your
patience.  I think there are two separate issues here:

1.  Across what frequency range is a model with constant RLGC parameters
accurate?

2.  How many segments are necessary for a lumped model to accurately
mimic its distributed counterpart up to a certain frequency?

In answer to #1, the model can only be accurate up to the frequency at
which frequency-dependent loss becomes important.  At this point, the
model starts to diverge from the behavior of the actual device, and
therefore loses accuracy.  So, although the model replicates the
modeling equations more precisely as the number of segments is
increased, the accuracy is not necessarily improved, since the
underlying modeling assumption of frequency-independent RLGC is
inaccurate at high frequencies.  The model accuracy ends up being
limited by the assumptions as much as by the segmentation scheme, so in
the frequency-independent case, additional segmentation past a certain
point doesn't help, and in some situations can even reduce the accuracy.

In answer to #2, if the RLGC parameters are constant with frequency, the
analysis you have provided is correct for computing the minimum number
of segments.  I don't own Hall's book, but I would presume that the
analysis was done assuming constant RLGC parameters.  A model with
frequency-dependent RLGC parameters, however, dissipates additional
signal energy at higher frequencies.  As a result, certain segment
length restrictions get relaxed as compared to the frequency-independent
case, which is the limiting case.  However, although fewer segments may
be required, it is still generally necessary to use multiple segments,
as you have correctly pointed out.  (And as I alluded earlier, optimal
segmentation schemes become more complex, and are a subject of current
research.)

Finally, to make sure I answer your question directly:
Frequency-independent RLGC parameters are only valid as a low-frequency
approximation.  Your analysis is valid for the frequency-independent
case, but overly restrictive regarding segment length when
high-frequency effects such as skin effect and dielectric losses are
incorporated.

Hopefully this was more clear...

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.