[SI-LIST] loosely vs tightly coupled differential pairs

  • From: David Kaiser <david.kaiser@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:08:55 -0600

I want to get some opinions about edge coupled differential traces.

Which is better? Loosely coupled or tightly coupled differential traces.
How many times the trace width seperation is necessary to be concidered
loose or tight?

- I already know that loosely couple traces may be difficult to route
through dense via fields.
- I also have been told that tight coupling lowers EMI.
- A tightly coupled 100 Ohm differential line may require that the single
ended Zo will go up to 60+ Ohms (instead of 50 Ohms), but my understanding
is that the single ended Zo is not important as long as you are terminated
differentially.

Any opinions?

David Kaiser
310 Interlocken Pkwy.