[SI-LIST] Re: length of 10Gig traces on FR4

  • From: "Robert Sefton" <rsefton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:58:30 -0700

High-speed connector vendors like Tyco/Amp, FCI, Samtec, etc., have a lot of
information and simulation results for 5G and 10G signaling through
connectors and across FR4 backplanes. Amp has a presentation that shows
acceptable eyes at 10Gbps LVDS across through a connector and 20" of FR4
backplane (if I remember correctly). Routing and connector pinout are
critical at those data rates, and 20" is about the physical limit for FR4.
The dielectric variations and losses, as well as vias, trace variations,
etc., eventually close the eye.

Robert