[SI-LIST] jitter on differential pairs

  • From: "Denis Downey" <denisd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:49:27 +0100

I'm running ADCs at 163MHz. The ADC clock jitter spec for my application is
3ps and the ADCs need differential clock drive (PECL)

The ADcs are on daughter cards and I'm wondering if I can generate the
clocks for all three daughter boards on the base board, and just distribute
the clock through a connector to each daughter card.

The alternative is to put a separate PLL on each daughter card.

If I use the central generation approach, then obviously, the differential
tracking must be closely matched, but are there other issues ?

In particular, will the clock jitter increase as I increase the separation
between the clock source and termination at this frequency ?

I've seen several references to an increase in clock jitter with trace
length on 5GHz and 10GHz differential tracking, which I'm assuming is
related to attenuation at these frequencies.

Does anyone have any experience regarding negative impact on clock jitter
over (say) 6 inches of differential pair (FR4)  plus a controlled impedance
connector ?

Thanks !

Denis Downey
Com21 European Development Center