[SI-LIST] Re: intra-pair skew and jitter

  • From: agathon <hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 23:08:12 -0400

Eric,
Yes, I think the SCC11,21 aren't useful.  I like yer style.  Ask why.  I
think you've identified a rotten relic in your digs.

You asked --
"If this is the problem, why isn't the comm signal magnitude at the RX
spec'd, rather than the asymmetry? After all, comm signal will also be
generated on a channel by channel to channel cross talk."

Uh... damn good question.  Tradition?  Tradition!  But I think quantifying
it is the problem - each rx is different and this involves the IC CMRR as
well.  But that may not be relevant since I assume lots of
measurement-based work already goes into specs.
Jim asked about something narrower that seemed weird to him.  It reveals a
sorta subtle lesson about mode conversion.  I answered... edited again:

Jim,
Not sure I've nailed it all but...

1) With no (diffpair) coupling you have no Sdc since dm and cm have, by
definition, the same propagation characteristics.  *There's no way for
conversion to occur.* Until you get near the sample point @ 0.5UI there's
simply less of a diff signal arithmetically.

2) Additionally, with lossless homogenous media you might still get the
same result even w/ coupling.  ie: both DM and CM fields see the same zero
loss.  *And both modes have the same delay so ... actually there's only one
mode.  The signal is differential but the propagation is CM.*

Once you provide coupling and media/copper loss you'll get very different
jitter spectra depending on stimulus pattern and for stripline vs
microstrip, of course.  Should be worse for microstrip, along w/ added FEXT
crosstalk.  In any case, a clk pattern will give a bifurcated jitter
distribution (2 peaks) and a PRBS will convolve that into a dual Gaussian
density (a la Dual Dirac), but that's just the simple view.  Then you have
jitter amplification due to any CM ac noise on tx over the channel.
ahhh...  I think I'll just go work on Maggie's Farm some more.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: