[SI-LIST] Re: inductance of differential stripline

  • From: "Mark Burford" <Mark_Burford@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:42:25 -0000

Dear Sirs, Many thanks for your input.
I can say that I tried the link supplied by Joe and found there to be a
significant difference in the results of the link's calculator and my
equations obtained from various sources.  Lists below are the equation
set I am using and where I obtained them from, comments welcome.

National Semiconductor's LVDS guide
z0_single =3D (60.0/SQRT(Er))*log((1.9*b)/((0.8*width_ic)+height_ic));
z0_diff =3D 2.0*Z0_nat*(1.0-0.748*exp(-2.9*(line_sep/h1)));=20

delay_of_line =3D 1.0/(C/SQRT(Er)); --secs/m
l_line =3D delay_line*Z0_diff;
l_mut =3D l_line*(1.0/(1.0+(line_sep/h1)^2)); --sigcon.com

I noted that the link supplied by Joe did not take account of Er however
this has no effect on the inductance as it is a factor of both impedance
and delay of the line and the effects cancel.  The link uses this for
coplanar traces, there is no mention of a ground plane between which my
traces are sitting, would this affect the inductance by increasing or
decreasing it?  Depends on distance to gnd plans I suppose?  The
equation above accounts for dist to gnd plane (h1)

Many thanks

Mark
Southampton
UK